Law enforcement say Kia and Hyundai models are staying focused much more than some others.
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — The Blended Automobile Theft Group, a aspect of the Grand Rapids Law enforcement Department, unveiled recommendations to assist residents maintain their autos from getting stolen.
This comes following a string of car thefts, particularly involving Kia or Hyundai designs. Law enforcement say the autos concerned in these thefts are generally used in serious crimes and abandoned.
About a thirty day period back, law enforcement in Grand Rapids, Kentwood and other Kent County metropolitan areas documented an improve in these thefts, with 2012 to 2022 Kia Sportage and Optima automobiles currently being targeted far more than other products.
Just after acquiring into the car with or without having drive, thieves dismantle the steering column and override the ignition program by power and then travel away.
Similar: Kentwood, Grand Rapids sees uptick in particular Kia and Hyundai car or truck thefts
The Blended Vehicle Theft Staff claims you really should do the adhering to to aid secure on your own against theft:
- Park in effectively-lit parts close to structures and/or cameras
- Park in a garage if attainable
- Constantly remove valuables from your motor vehicle
- Generally lock your car or truck
- Activate the alarm system on your motor vehicle
- Use a locking mechanism on your auto (column collars, steering wheel locks or brake locks)
- If you have home surveillance cameras, park in the digicam see if possible
- If you see something, say some thing — report all suspicious activity
The thefts have a tendency to occur amongst 1 and 4 a.m., in accordance to law enforcement.
Law enforcement say the people today included in these thefts can be hazardous, and you need to not endeavor to confront or interact with them.
If you see suspicious exercise happening, call 911. To report suspicious action or crimes immediately after they occur, call your area legislation enforcement. You can also submit an nameless suggestion through Silent Observer at 616-774-2345 or SilentObserver.org.
►Make it simple to continue to keep up to date with far more stories like this. Obtain the 13 ON YOUR Facet application now.